Since we’ve got a little extra time before the start of tonight’s elimination game against Kent State, we did some digging and found a few interesting statistics for you:
- Carolina is 2-1 all time against Kent State. The Gamecocks won the final two games of a three-game series in Columbia in February of 1997, Ray Tanner’s first year as coach of the Gamecocks.
- The Gamecocks had not lost a game all season in which it had allowed two runs or less until Monday night’s 2-1 defeat to Arkansas. Carolina is now 25-1 when allowing two runs or less, 40-11 when allowing five runs or less, 18-0 when scoring in the first inning, 34-5 when scoring first, and 37-4 when outhitting their opponent.
- Evan Marzilli is the Gamecocks’ leading hitter in the postseason, sporting a .379 average. He’s hit two doubles and a triple with two runs batted in during the 2012 postseason.
- The Gamecocks have now played in a school record 27 one-run games, compiling a 14-13 record in those contests. Interestingly, the Gamecocks are 8-0 in games decided by two runs.
- Christian Walker needs seven hits at the College World Series to have sole possession of the all-time CWS record currently held by Dustin Ackley.
- With a win at this year’s CWS, Matt Price would move into sole possession of the all-time record for most wins at the College World Series.
- Kent State’s athletic teams are known as the Golden Flashes, which actually doesn’t refer to anything at all.